happiness

04.

Continue This Pattern

Move

The Transformation of Martha

January 15, 2017

< back to blog

There’s a story I think every Christian woman should know.

It’s the story of Martha, the sister of Mary and Lazarus.

You probably think you know the whole story.  She’s the grouchy hostess, right?

She’s more than that.

She was having what we call “a moment” when she lost her faith and her temper with her life, her situation, and the Lord.  But his quick and gentle chastisement brought her back to center.  She transformed.

There’s more to her story than you think, and the lesson there is a powerful one for modern Marthas, distracted by details and frustrated with life.  Click to read my article The Transformation of Martha on Graceful Abandon.

1. Jessica says:

Beautiful beautiful read. I cannot believe it, but this is exactly what I needed to hear today. Thank you so much for posting this to Pinterest. I like how you looked at things from a different perspective when Martha spoke to God, it opened my eyes to see things differently. I am a perfectionist like her, and I do love my home realy clean but it is hard to when you have two small children, and keep an organized daily to do list, but it’s really helpful to hear tjis from someone else. God bless you!

2. Sabrina says:

I kept scrolling and scrolling! Thank you for this post! I loved the beautiful read, the emphasis on trusting in Him and looking to Him for all that we need.

3. BB says:

I am 61 years old and this brought tears to my eyes. This is a healing look at Martha and Mary.
    God bless and keep you.

4. Jenny says:

Loved how you described Martha’s transformation. It really resonated with me cause it’s so similar to what happened to me in the last few years. Jesus can transform Martha(s) like me. Praise the Lord !

5. Roxie says:

For someone who has heard this story referenced so many times, and can be so much like Martha with the emotion and tender heartedness of Mary, it was refreshing to hear a new perspective. As someone who loves to host and plan then enjoy the party as well, its hard to find that balance. This sweet article just reminds me that I only have to ask Jesus for help and grace. With 3 littles ones at home, I’ve definitely had to learn a new definition of “clean enough” and sometimes I just need to sit with the Lord!

6. Caricia says:

Beautiful, wonderful dramatization! I can see the picture as I’m reading your insight.
    We often don’t look at Martha in this aspect…. sheis so overwhelmed with everything because she wants it to n perfect and in that she missed the most impostant lesson. But later on she doesn’t make the same mistake she learnt from it!
    Hallelujah I love it! Thank for sharing.
    When quoting Matthew 6:33
    Don’t forget “and his righteousness”that’s very important.

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
    Matthew 6:33 NIV